About

Michael Zucchi

 B.E. (Comp. Sys. Eng.)

Tags

android (44)
beagle (63)
biographical (82)
business (1)
code (56)
cooking (29)
dez (6)
dusk (30)
ffts (3)
forth (3)
free software (4)
games (32)
gloat (2)
globalisation (1)
gnu (4)
graphics (16)
gsoc (4)
hacking (414)
haiku (2)
horticulture (10)
house (23)
hsa (6)
humour (7)
imagez (28)
java (216)
java ee (3)
javafx (48)
jjmpeg (67)
junk (3)
kobo (15)
linux (3)
mediaz (27)
ml (15)
nativez (3)
opencl (117)
os (17)
parallella (97)
pdfz (8)
philosophy (26)
picfx (2)
politics (7)
ps3 (12)
puppybits (17)
rants (134)
readerz (8)
rez (1)
socles (36)
termz (3)
videoz (6)
wanki (3)
workshop (2)
zedzone (13)
Thursday, 04 February 2010, 16:02

Oops

Ok, so my MMU code was all broken. First I was just using the wrong number of bits in the L2 pages - x86 uses 4K pages with 1K entries, but ARM is only 1K pages with 256 entries, and I can't add up simple 2 digit numbers ... But even that didn't help ... many iterations and hours later ... ahh, I forgot to map the serial port - I was only mapping 16MB of i/o and there's another 1MB to map. Grr. Added that to the Haiku code and suddenly turning on the MMU 'works'.

Well it wasn't all wasted effort, I have a better understanding of the various permission and cache bits now. Better than nothing at least.

So ... ta-da ...

Actually it's nothing to be too excited about - that's all it does, and it's been hacked in very messily.

Tagged beagle, hacking, haiku.
Wednesday, 03 February 2010, 00:05

Haiku @ Beagle

Another day piss farting about on the PC. Ended up that i was up till 3 last night, so I was a bit tired, and had a nap in the afternoon, and even managed to load up the bin with rubbish from the yard ... but I made some progress, if not much.

So with Haiku I got the booting stuff worked out, loaded it onto an SD card, and tried booting it. Not surprisingly it doesn't get too far. After a lot of playing around I managed to get it far enough that it crashes as soon as it turns on the MMU. The page tables seem to be OK, I think (although it looks to me like it's using old-format tables, and they're not implemented in cortex-a8 afaict - but I tried some variations to no avail), and the other initialisation looks about right ... but as with just about everything i've tried doing on this machine, looking right and being right aren't the same thing.

Might ask about the status on the mailing list, and in the mean-time try some MMU code stand-alone - the load/test cycle is pretty slow going through the old SD card i've been using.

Tagged beagle, haiku.
Copyright (C) 2018 Michael Zucchi, All Rights Reserved.Powered by gcc & me!