The joy of segfaults
I had another look at some parallella code today but I didn't get as far as i'd hoped. Being a bit tired and not really into it didn't really help I guess.
First major problem I hit was that the linker doesn't allocate bss blocks for relocatable files by default, which I only discovered after a lot of faffing about. This and a few other issues made me decide to create a simpler linker script which I was trying to avoid. Since I have it now I'm using the linker script to merge some of the c-runtime support sections and epiphany sections with the base sections, and rename some of the epiphany sections to something i can use more readily in the loader (e.g. IVT_RESET to .ivt0).
It still didn't work. Which took a lot of tracking down ... and turned out to be an annoying bug with the way I was resolving the address of a remote-core array. I had defined the weak external reference as a pointer type and was just passing it to e_get_global_address - I should have passed the address of the variable instead. Live and learn I suppose, or maybe not. This is the second time I've wasted a good chunk of time on something like this so it's probably something I need to macro/functionise if I can.
But once I worked that out it suddenly started working.
I'm working on a single-pass image resampler. It's something I need for the FD code, and a nice parallel problem which should fit a grid of EPUs nicely to boot. It's also a good test case for the relocating elf loader code i have.
input rows | +-------------+-------------+-------------+ | | | | +-----------+ +-----------+ +-----------+ +-----------+ | scale x 0 | | scale x 1 | | scale x 2 | | scale x 3 | +-----------+ +-----------+ +-----------+ +-----------+ | | | | +-----------+ +-----------+ +-----------+ +-----------+ | scale y 0 | | scale y 1 | | scale y 2 | | scale y 3 | +-----------+ +-----------+ +-----------+ +-----------+ | | | | +-------------+-------------+-------------+ | output rows Workgroup topology' (transposed)
The input stage comprises of 4 cores in a column which load in 1/4 of a row of the input stream at a time and scale it in X - the results are written directly to the next stage in the pipeline.
The y scalers then perform y scaling on the input rows, and output directly to the target.
Because there are a lot of fiddly edge cases I just started with the data-flow code with an X-only scaling case to nearest neighbour (simplifies the y-scaling logic), but the intention is to end up with (at least) bi-cubic resampling. For this reason the Y scalers contain 'some' number of rows which will be greater than one organised in a cyclic buffer - so they can double-buffer with the X scaler and support higher-order resampling. I'm only using 4+4 cores mostly for simplicity but I may also have a use for the other 8. I don't know yet if the workload will balance well with a 1:1 mapping like this - in any event it will be dynamic based on the problem (e.g. x scaler always runs on each input row, by the y scaler only needs to run on each output row), and even if it isn't 100% efficient it should be goodly-efficient[sic].
So as of now I have the basic data-flow working. I'm using an 'eport' for the throttling/arbitration of the Y buffers and by organising the input stage in a column the DMA reads are fair without further work. This also gives me a simple platform to determine how important write DMA arbitration is, although I haven't included it yet.
As the Y stage can have multiple rows of storage (memory permitting) the same structure can be used for separable convolution, wavelets, etc. I can also be extended to high quality rotation and even to general purpose affine resampling - which I may look at eventually.