About

Michael Zucchi

 B.E. (Comp. Sys. Eng.)

  also known as zed
  & handle of notzed

Tags

android (44)
beagle (63)
biographical (97)
blogz (9)
business (1)
code (73)
cooking (31)
dez (7)
dusk (30)
extensionz (1)
ffts (3)
forth (3)
free software (4)
games (32)
gloat (2)
globalisation (1)
gnu (4)
graphics (16)
gsoc (4)
hacking (451)
haiku (2)
horticulture (10)
house (23)
hsa (6)
humour (7)
imagez (28)
java (229)
java ee (3)
javafx (49)
jjmpeg (80)
junk (3)
kobo (15)
libeze (7)
linux (5)
mediaz (27)
ml (15)
nativez (9)
opencl (120)
os (17)
panamaz (3)
parallella (97)
pdfz (8)
philosophy (26)
picfx (2)
players (1)
playerz (2)
politics (7)
ps3 (12)
puppybits (17)
rants (137)
readerz (8)
rez (1)
socles (36)
termz (3)
videoz (6)
vulkan (3)
wanki (3)
workshop (3)
zcl (3)
zedzone (23)
Monday, 20 July 2015, 18:29

digest nonce

Intended to do nothing with the weekend ... but then i had "nothing better to do" so did a bit more hacking on the server. I had intended to go look for an updated distro for the xm, but promptly forgot all about it.

I did a bit of work on a `cvs-like' tool; to validate the revision system and to manage the data until I work out something better. The small amount I did on this exposed some bugs in some of the queries and let me experiment with some functions like history logging. The repository format is such that data updates are decoupled from metadata updates so for a history log they have to be interleaved together. I also came up with a solution for delete and other system flags: I already had an indexed 'keyword' set for each artifact so I just decided on using that together with single-character prefixes to classify them. Apart from these flags I will also use it for things like keywords, categories, cross-reference keys, and whatever else makes sense. System flags probably don't need indexing but it's probably not worth separating them out either. But the short of it is I can now mark a revision as deleted and it doesn't show up on a `checkout' of the branch containing that mark.

I did a bit of investigation into berkeley db je to see about some features I was interested in and along the way upgraded to the latest version (damn that thing doesn't sit still for long). This is also AGPL3 now which is nice - although it means I have to prepare a dist before I can switch anything on. Probably for now i'll stick with what I have; I was looking into having a writer process separate from the readers but I didn't get to reading very much about the HA setup before moving onto something else. It's just getting a bit ahead of where i'm at.

The driver of this is more thinking about about security than scalability. It's not really a priority as such; but its too easy to do stupid things with security and i'm trying to avoid any big mistakes.

So I had a look at what plain http can do and toward that vain implemented a chunk of RFC2617 digest authentication. This guy's code helped me get started so I could just skim-read the RFC to start with but eventually I had to dig a bit further into the details and came up with a more reusable and complete implementation. The main differences are requiring no external libraries by using javase stuff and the nonces are created randomly per-authentication and have a configurable timeout. It all works properly from a browser although nobody seems to use any http auth anymore; I presume it's all just done with cookies and if we're lucky some javascript now (and perhaps, or not, with ssl).

After I did all this I noticed the Authenticator class that can be plugged into the HttpContext and with not much work I embedded it into a DigestAuthenticator. Then made sure it will work free-threaded.

One problem with digest auth is that a hash of the password needs to be stored in plaintext. Although this means the password itself isn't exposed (since people often reuse them) this hashed value is itself used as the shared secret in the algorithm. And that means if this plaintext hash is accessed then this particular site is exposed (then again, if they can read it then it's already been completely exposed). Its something I can put in another process quite easily though.

I'm not sure if i'll even use it but at least I satisfied my curiosity and it's there if i want it.

Oh, along the way I (re)wrote some MIME header parsing stuff which I used here and will help with some stuff later. It's no camel but I don't need it to be.

On Sunday I thought i'd found a way to represent the revision database in a way that would simplify the queries ... but I was mistaken and since I still had nothing much better to do end up filling out some of the info implementation and html translator and found a way to approximately align the baselines of in-line maths expressions.

Tagged hacking, java, wanki.
the risk of centralisation | bring out the maths.
Copyright (C) 2019 Michael Zucchi, All Rights Reserved. Powered by gcc & me!