About

Michael Zucchi

 B.E. (Comp. Sys. Eng.)

  also known as zed
  & handle of notzed

Tags

android (44)
beagle (63)
biographical (87)
blogz (7)
business (1)
code (63)
cooking (30)
dez (7)
dusk (30)
ffts (3)
forth (3)
free software (4)
games (32)
gloat (2)
globalisation (1)
gnu (4)
graphics (16)
gsoc (4)
hacking (434)
haiku (2)
horticulture (10)
house (23)
hsa (6)
humour (7)
imagez (28)
java (224)
java ee (3)
javafx (48)
jjmpeg (77)
junk (3)
kobo (15)
libeze (7)
linux (5)
mediaz (27)
ml (15)
nativez (8)
opencl (119)
os (17)
parallella (97)
pdfz (8)
philosophy (26)
picfx (2)
playerz (2)
politics (7)
ps3 (12)
puppybits (17)
rants (137)
readerz (8)
rez (1)
socles (36)
termz (3)
videoz (6)
wanki (3)
workshop (3)
zcl (1)
zedzone (21)
Monday, 21 July 2014, 00:44

post weekend

I did a bit more work on the ezetool code - most improvements to the output. Added labels, each function has the cycle counters reset, and branch targets are calculated.

As a bit of an experiment I wrote a tiny bit of a simulator - just enough to simulate all the instructions in isqrt().

Simulation of calculating an approximation to iqsrt(9) (i.e. 1/3):

 000000: mov.l   r2,#0x0000       r2 <- 00000000 0.000000
 000004: movt.l  r2,#0x3f00       r2 <- 3f000000 0.500000
 000008: mov.l   r1,#0x59df       r1 <- 000059df 0.000000
 00000c: fmul.s  r2,r0,r2         r2 <- 40900000 4.500000
 00000e: movt.l  r1,#0x5f37       r1 <- 5f3759df 13211836172961055000.000000
 000012: asr.s   r0,r0,#0x0001    r0 <- 20880000  41100000
 000014: sub.s   r0,r1,r0         r0 <- 3eaf59df
 000016: mov.l   r1,#0x0000       r1 <- 00000000 0.000000
 00001a: movt.l  r1,#0x3fc0       r1 <- 3fc00000 1.500000
 00001e: fmul.s  r2,r2,r0         r2 <- 3fc5451b 1.541171
 000020: fmsub.s r1,r2,r0         r1 <- 3f78e082 0.972176
 000022: fmul.s  r0,r1,r0         r0 <- 3eaa78d8 0.332953
 000024: jr.l    r14     

But it was just using the string names of the instructions in a switch statement and was a bit bulky so I started looking into ways of making it easier to write and ended up falling down a pretty deep rabbit hole before I decided I don't really want to write a simulator anyway (well, probably not).

One thing I was looking at was including the instruction operation in the instruction definition file directly, so i started playing with an expression parser. I came up with a pretty novel (or perhaps, just shit) non-recursive parser implemented using a hand-coded state machine and a few stacks but it wasn't anything more than a bit of piss farting about.

But this playing with an expression parser got me thinking about a programmers calculator. I mostly fire up a random xterm and run gdb whenever I want to do some sort of calculation (going by ps i currently have 9 littered across 4 virtual desktops amongst 38 xterms and 8 copies of emacs) but although that serves most of my needs very well sometimes it just doesn't. Sometimes I need to write little C or java snippets or resort to an old Sharp calculator.

Today mostly out of curiosity I had a look at some compiler generator tools - i found that bison has a Java output which although it doesn't seem to be actively developed appears to function ok. I started with my own lexical analyser but that quickly got messy so I tried jflex which did the job fine. These are the sort of tools I play with out of curiosity every few years but never do anything useful with - i think they're kinda nifty but never seem to have a real need for them.

gdb also has has a command line. Thus deeper down the rabbit hole I went looking for a readline equivalent for Java. I looked at one but it had a few external dependencies and uses maven to resolve them (which means: just no). So ... I mucked about for a couple of hours writing my own. Using stty to set the terminal to raw mode and then creating a stream which decodes the escape sequences. Of course I've forgotten everything i did with zvt (gnome-terminal 1.0) but it didn't take long to get a single-line editor going with basic functions like navigation, editing, and history. But probably it may as well just have it's own window so that was mostly just a bit of pointless mucking about and I probably should've just been playing with doing it with a gui toolkit.

Then the weekend ended.

I dunno, maybe I'll keep playing around with it, or maybe I wont.

At least I finally pruned the roses and re-trained some of them onto stakes. Kinda been letting them go a bit. Did a bit of other gardening stuff too - it turned out to be an ok enough day with a bit of sunshine and a little warmth although it didn't last long.

Tagged hacking.
JavaFX Task interface | instruction matching
Copyright (C) 2019 Michael Zucchi, All Rights Reserved. Powered by gcc & me!