About

Michael Zucchi

 B.E. (Comp. Sys. Eng.)

  also known as zed
  & handle of notzed

Tags

android (44)
beagle (63)
biographical (87)
blogz (7)
business (1)
code (63)
cooking (30)
dez (7)
dusk (30)
ffts (3)
forth (3)
free software (4)
games (32)
gloat (2)
globalisation (1)
gnu (4)
graphics (16)
gsoc (4)
hacking (434)
haiku (2)
horticulture (10)
house (23)
hsa (6)
humour (7)
imagez (28)
java (224)
java ee (3)
javafx (48)
jjmpeg (77)
junk (3)
kobo (15)
libeze (7)
linux (5)
mediaz (27)
ml (15)
nativez (8)
opencl (119)
os (17)
parallella (97)
pdfz (8)
philosophy (26)
picfx (2)
playerz (2)
politics (7)
ps3 (12)
puppybits (17)
rants (137)
readerz (8)
rez (1)
socles (36)
termz (3)
videoz (6)
wanki (3)
workshop (3)
zcl (1)
zedzone (21)
Tuesday, 31 January 2012, 18:28

CSZ

Well I kept poking away at the XHTML/CSS stuff, for want of something better to do. I had a couple of wins along the way.

The cascading and inheritance is working somewhat better now, and I added a few more properties. Given that I'm not very familiar with all the various rules, I think I have a fairly efficient resolution mechanism by indexing various bits and pieces. The layout system is still crap, and very very incomplete, but at least I have baselines aligned now.

This is a totally contrived example, everything apart from the text layout and typefaces are hacked in one way or another.

I tried it on the kobo ... it's still fairly slow, but it's better (I think: TBH i can't remember what I tried the other stuff on). Still hampered by the text layout though.

For a 200k file (which is mostly just <p> elements), scanning the file, resolving the properties and generating the box list takes only a fraction of a second. I'm not trying to resolve or use very many properties though. About all i'm using `in anger' are some of the font-* properties.

But then performing the layout (as a single page) takes about 7s (once the jvm is warmed up), which is mostly due to TextLayout. I will have to try it with a simpler font than the one the JVM comes with.

Rendering is fairly ok (relative to the e-ink anyway) and all i'm doing is painting every textlayout in the whole tree ...

I uploaded it to MediaZ anyway, in the new CSZ module.

Hmmm, I should really take a break from hacking for a bit. But i'll believe that when I see it.

Tagged hacking, java, kobo, mediaz.
floats n stuff | xhtml, css, boxes n shit
Copyright (C) 2019 Michael Zucchi, All Rights Reserved. Powered by gcc & me!